Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Exercise 1 (Project 1) Anachromatic scale

Mixing Greys - anachromatic scale
Using the scale in the course book as a guide. After practising the first six gradations I found the values weren't darkening sufficiently in comparison.
After  two mixes I was finding that the value changes are much more subtle after mid-grey (half way) than the light end of the scale adding the same amount of black - between 7 - 13, I need to add proportionately more black paint.
I've been going left right but as I'm left handed I should go right to left so I can see the edge of the previous value (tone) - dopey me, will do from now on......

Third graded (grey scale) from 7 on I was very careful to check repeatedly with dabs of mixed tones near  the example and from previous mixes for comparisons to try to ensure that I had added adequate black to make a noticeable a darkening of tone. Even then they are more subtle between 10 - 13 than from 1 - 9. The middle grey (70 when placed next to white looks darker than in the middle of the scale. This is so apparent because of the extreme contrast in tone next to white and the other gradually darkening values nearby.

Neutral mid-grey
Placed alongside black - though tones have a noticeable contrast it isn't as distinct as at the other (light) end. When I move the 'neutral' grey down and up the scale the contrasts become less pronounced much earlier at the darker end than at the lighter end of the scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment