Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

Project 2: Overlaying Washes, Exercise 5


orange/red and red/orange
On these I painted orange over some previous  washes; orange over red and visa versa. Despite trying all sorts of variations: taking care to add equal amounts of water for each successive dilution on pre-dampened paper and working as fast as possible, obvious stripes appeared yet again. I tried the support board flat, at a slight angle, mixing paint with a gel medium, adding more water, adding less and using a sponge, different pressures on different brushes, starting at the  lightest end first then the darkest end first,  but nothing really seemed to work out to my liking, apart from the lower right hand side, which was the best of a bad bunch. I certainly wouldn't say there is any improvement here as yet....



Next I experimented with emerald green, cobalt blue on both damp
crimson on ultramarine



and dry paper. Generally I found that the paint applied to damp paper appeared to have the smoothest transitions. Cobalt blue seems to settle in the grain of the paper although I don't think it has an adverse effect on it's ability to blend smoothly.
I did two more - ultramarine on crimson and crimson on ultramarine. I think I also added some pthallo blue to the ultramarine. The outcome of these were nothing too remarkable either. At this stage I was almost resigned to the idea that there was no hope for me with these, but things were about to change..........





ultramarine on crimson












At last - new improved washes after trying yet another technique - didn't need a different wash powder though.
I tried the above with emerald green and cobalt blue and discovered the process was much easier than ever before. See the following exercise..

No comments:

Post a Comment